Best hr software for small business - Human resource management software is a valuable tool for small businesses to streamline and manage various HR processes, including payroll and benefits administration. When selecting an HRM software, it's important to consider the size, industry, and specific needs of the business. While larger businesses may opt for a fully integrated HRIS that includes a wide range of functionalities, smaller businesses may prefer to choose a more targeted solution that meets their specific HR needs. To assist small businesses in finding the right HRM software, we have compiled a list of the top options available.
What is HR Software?
HR software, also known as human resource management software, is a tool that helps businesses manage and organize HR-related tasks and processes. This can include tasks such as payroll, benefits administration, applicant tracking, performance evaluations, and more. HR software is designed to streamline these tasks and make them more efficient, saving time and resources for HR departments and employees. HR software can be used by businesses of all sizes, and there are many different options available, ranging from basic solutions to more comprehensive systems that include a wide range of HR functionality.
Types of HRM Software
There are several types of HRM software available, each with its own set of features and capabilities:
- Human resource information systems (HRIS): These are comprehensive systems that manage all HR-related functions, including payroll, benefits administration, applicant tracking, and performance evaluations.
- Applicant tracking systems (ATS): These systems are specifically designed to manage the recruitment process, including posting job openings, receiving and tracking job applications, and scheduling interviews.
- Payroll software: This type of HR software is used to manage employee payroll, including calculating and distributing paychecks, tracking time off, and handling tax compliance.
- Performance management software: This type of HR software is used to track and evaluate employee performance, including setting goals, providing feedback, and conducting performance reviews.
- Time and attendance tracking software: This type of HR software is used to track employee time and attendance, including logging hours worked and calculating pay.
- Benefits administration software: This type of HR software is used to manage employee benefits, including enrolling employees in benefits plans, calculating benefits costs, and tracking employee eligibility.
Criteria Used in Selecting the Best Vendors
There are several factors to consider when choosing HR management software for your business:
- Functionality: Consider what HR tasks and processes you need the software to support, such as payroll, benefits administration, applicant tracking, performance evaluations, and more.
- Integration: If you already use other business management software, it may be beneficial to choose an HR solution that integrates with these tools to streamline your workflow.
- User experience: Consider how user-friendly the software is and whether it is easy for your team to navigate and use.
- Price: Determine your budget and consider the cost of different HR software options, including any additional fees for features or support.
- Support: Look for HR software that offers comprehensive support options, such as online resources, phone support, and training materials.
- Scalability: Consider whether the software can grow with your business and whether it has the capacity to support your future needs.
- Data security: Ensure that the HR software you choose has strong security measures in place to protect sensitive employee data.
Why Do You Need HR Software for Your Small Business?
There are several reasons why small businesses may benefit from using HR software:
- Improved efficiency: HR software can help streamline HR-related tasks and processes, saving time and resources for HR departments and employees.
- Better organization: HR software can help small businesses better organize and manage employee information, including payroll, benefits, and performance evaluations.
- Reduced errors: By automating HR tasks, HR software can help reduce the risk of errors, such as incorrect payroll calculations or benefits enrollment mistakes.
- Enhanced compliance: HR software can help small businesses stay compliant with employment laws and regulations by tracking employee information and ensuring that required documents are filed and updated.
- Improved employee experience: By providing self-service options, such as the ability to view pay stubs or request time off online, HR software can improve the overall employee experience and make it easier for employees to access the information they need.
The Best HR Software For Small Business
- Rippling: Best overall HR system for small businesses and tech-heavy companies looking for HR, payroll, and IT tools
- Gusto: Best for small businesses needing payroll software with basic HR support
- Paychex: Best for solopreneurs and employers looking for flexible payroll and HR solutions
- TriNet Zenefits (formerly Zenefits): Best for companies in highly regulated industries
- ADP Run: Best for small businesses that plan to grow into large enterprises
- Paycor: Best for companies that want fully configurable payroll with robust HR tools
- BambooHR: Best for businesses wanting strong performance and employee management tools
- Zoho People: Best for budget-conscious companies requiring basic HRIS tools
- Homebase: Best for employers looking for unlimited time tracking and employee scheduling solutions
- Freshteam: Best for small businesses needing free applicant tracking and recruiting tools